Schedule - Martial Arts Classes & Clinics
Traditional Martial Arts
We are open Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday for group classes beginning at 5:00 to 8:30 pm. You pay one monthly fee to attend all classes.
Wednesdays begin with Karate & we review karate, kobudo and self-defense taught in other classes. This is followed by Self Defense (Kata Bunkai) where members learn kata techniques to defend against a variety of attacks.
Thursdays start with Samurai Arts. Dressed in karate jacket and black hakama, members learn the samurai sword, Okinawan spear, naginata, jujutsu, manrikigusari, hanbo & other samurai weapons. This is followed by the Kobudo: the classical weapons of Okinawa (nunchuks, bo, sai, tonfa, kama, etc). We have times available for private lessons and training.
CLASSES. Gichin Funakoshi, the father of modern Okinawa Karate & Kobudo, summed up our philosophy in a simple statement. "The purpose of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in perfection of its participants". After training in martial arts for 5 decades & teaching at four universities, Soke Hausel believes martial arts should be both educational & fun. Classes are limited to 25 people & we have a good mix of men and women, with a couple of families. We ask members to pay at the beginning of each month with personal check or cash (no credit cards). Our fees include monthly training fees & periodic rank certification fees (see rank certification below).
(1) Group martial arts (T, W, Th): New Members pay - $125/month. It's not necessary, but we hope you will attend all classes.
(2) Family membership - $150/mo for two! Each additional family member, add $50/mo allows you to attend all group classes.
(3) Private Lessons - $50/hour.
(4) Personal Class. A personal Class for yourself and a friend. This is a weekly class set up for you at a specific hour each week where you will train with our Hall-of-Fame Grandmaster. The fee is $300/month for two people - bring a friend, you can split the cost.
(5) And we also offer special clinics on some Saturday mornings from 9 to 11 am, and an annual Arizona-Utah clinic in the Spring
- Periodically, members are asked if they would like to test for rank in karate and kobudo. Depending on the individual, this typically occurs after 2 to 6 months of training. If you pass, you will be promoted and awarded rank certification after a fee is paid for the test.
- All mudansha ranks (9th kyu to 1st kyu) known as color belts, are $60/rank.
- Kobudo certifications - $60.
- Black belt (yudansha) promotions (1st dan to 10th dan).
- Shodan, Nidan & Sandan fees - $250.
- Yondan & Godan fees - $300.
- All other yudansha ranks - $350 (there are no honorary ranks - one must earn rank & all pay for their rank and certificates.