The Arizona School of Traditional Karate & Affiliated Schools
On Okinawa, a dojo is a gym that may include facilities martial arts. In the West, dojo is restricted to martial arts. North Americans are familiar with sport karate facilities with picture windows in full view of the public. Remember, the Cobra Kai dojo in the Karate Kid (1984) movie. The Cobra Kai school was designed to portray sport karate, while Miyagi-do Karate was designed to portray traditional karate. Traditional martial arts have rituals and include secret arts only taught to members; hence, there are no picture windows and emphasis is placed on self-improvement & self-defense.
Dojo (道場) means "place of Tao". For those not familiar with Tao (道), this is a concept of Taoism and Confucianism. The kanji translates as "way" or "path" and loosely denotes "doctrine" or "principle." Tao is often expressed as in-yo (yin-yang) where every action creates a counter-action (Newton's third law of motion). A traditional martial arts dojo is special & belongs to all who train in the dojo.
Over the years, we've had many students tell us (after they had graduated from college and moved elsewhere) they didn’t realize how good they had it in our dojo until they began to search for another. Members of a traditional karate ryu (style) support a hombu dojo. Hombu are important as all training and certifications originate from a hombu and its Soke.
- Arizona School of Traditional Karate, Mesa, Arizona: Our Yudansha includes many positive individuals.
- Casper Wyoming dojo (Wyoming Athletic Club). Headmaster Andy Finley (Hanshi/8th dan), Matt Larson (Shihan/5th dan), Duane Good (Shihan-Dai/4th dan), Kathyrn Urbanek (Sensei/3rd dan), Elena Finley (2nd dan), Ken Knight (Sensei/3rd dan), Dr. Florence Teule (1st dan), Walleska Serafin (1st dan)
- Gillette, Wyoming Seiyo Shorin-Ryu Karate and Kobudo of Gillette Headmaster Kyle Gewecke (Shihan/5th dan) assisted by Chase Cassidy (1st dan), Brandon Brown (1st dan), Nick Jarvis (1st dan), Nate Cina (1st dan).
- University of Wyoming Campus Shorin-Ryu Karate and Kobudo Club: Headmaster Nicole Maxwell (Sensei/2nd dan), faculty advisor Mark Bittner (1st dan).
- Cheyenne, Wyoming Seiyo-Shorin Ryu: Kevin Vance (Shihan/5th dan), Glenn Polk (Shihan-Dai/4th dan), Justin Roadifer (1st dan).
- Murray Utah Dojo (Matsumura-Seiyo Shorin-Ryu Kai): Headmaster Robert Watson (Hanshi/9th dan), Todd Stoneking (Kyoshi/8th dan), Kim Schroeder (Renshi/7th dan), Jeff Schroeder (Shihan/6th dan), Luis Juvier (Sensei/4th dan), Thadd Barrowes (Sensei/4th dan), Matthew Schroeder (sensei/3rd dan), Donna Drown (sensei/3rd dan), Kristen Whitney (1st dan), Julia Perkovic (1st dan), Destin Borrowes (yudansha sho) and Kris Watson (1st dan).
- Haggerstown, Maryland: Dr. Ernst Arnold (Sensei/1st dan).
- Boston Massachusetts: George Mumford (Sensei/1st dan).
- Middle East: Dr. Seyed Ahmad Taleghani (Kyoshi/8th dan) - Seiyo No Shorin-Ryu Karate Kobudo Kai representative.
- Europe: Shihan Spiros, 5th dan, Athens Greece: Seiyo Shorin-Ryu European Union.
- Vietnam Dojo